Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Day of Reckoning

As in "I reckon I'm about finished that there playground type thing." My thoughts on the playground programme; well I thought it was a great way to round out my day, as well as an effective way of making sure that we are all on roughly the same page vis a vis the new things on the internet. It seems all too recently that I would have people asking me about their RSS or or their twitter and not know what on earth they were talking about. Now, though I may be more inclineed to some (RSS) than others (twitter), I can at least say that I have passing familiarity with each, and thus at least can say why I don't have an account on this or that social networking site. The most important thing that I have learned from this, if I had to pick, would be wikis. Prior to learning 2.0 I knew nothing of wikis, but knew only wikipedia, that great repository of information that might even be accurate. The concept of wikis for organizational purposes had never occurred to me, and now I'm quite glad to have that option available to me. (though I must say getting my friends on board may be difficult, however that brings me to my next point.) One unexpected discovery that I was quite glad to have made was the discovery of the common craft show. This show was used to great effect on several of the "things" and I have invoked its teachings with my parents on numerous occasions. For example the age old "Graeme, why does mastercard want me to send them my card information, and what doesn phishing mean?" The reason I feel that the common craft show is so usefull is because it can be used when you're too tired, lazy, exasperated, etc. to actually explain how using a wiki could allow us to organize our barbeque better one could simply email their friend the url for the youtube page with the common craft show's schpeal on wikis. All in all, this has been a great programme, and I feel that it has yeilded very positive results for me. I would be very eager to partake in furhter discovery programmes of this kind were they to be offered.

No comments: